Ugh, I am officially sick and it totally sucks. Sore throat, runny nose, headache, the works. So yeah, I groggily got my ass to the kitched to make some stew today. It was delicious, hot, comforting and just what I needed. I could go into all the reasons that this stew is good for you when you are sick, but I am fucking sick, and I don’t feel like typing up a bunch of shit that you probably already know. Veggies… vitamins… protein… you get the idea. Stop thinking so hard about what to cook to feel better…. make you the stew, lay on the couch, and eat it.
- 1# of sweet italian sausage meat (not in casings)
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 tomatoes, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, pressed
- 1 cup fresh curly parsley, chopped
- 2 cups celery, chopped
- 2 cups sweet potatoes, cut into 1/2 inch cubes
- 2 cups broccoli (I used leftover roasted broccoli from dinner the other night and it worked great)
- 4 cups water (3 cups if you are using coconut milk instead of cream)
- 1/2 cup cream (or 1 can of coconut milk (replacing some of the water) if you don’t do dairy)
- Salt to taste
Add everything from the top list into a large pot. Saute until the sausage has browned and the tomatoes, onions & celery are softened. Add the sweet potatoes, water, and broccoli and let simmer on low for about 30 minutes or until the sweet potatoes are soft. Add the cream or coconut milk at the very end and salt to taste. I found that I didn’t need much salt as the sausage was very flavorful already.
3/10/13 – food log
- 2 eggs over easy with scallions in bacon fat.
- Black Tea.
- 2 bowls of the stew above
- Probably the same as lunch
Blehhhhhhhh I hate being sick 😦